EDUCATION / TRAINING
2009 – Undertaking modules that can lead to the Institute of Directors award of Chartered Director: Role of the Director and the Board & The Director and the Law; Finance for non-Financial Directors.
2000 – 2001 PgCert, University of Plymouth: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
1992 – 1996 PhD, University of Plymouth: Remote Sensing of Suspended Sediment.
1989 – 1992 First Class BSc Honours Degree in Oceanography and Marine Computer Applications, University of Plymouth.
2011 – Director, Pixalytics Limited (www.pixalytics.com).
2009 – Honorary Reader, School of Marine Science and Engineering, Plymouth University(www.research.plym.ac.uk/geomatics).
2007 – 2011 Managing Director, ARGANS Limited (www.argans.co.uk).
2005 – 2009 Reader in Geomatics, School of Earth, Ocean and Environmental Sciences.
2000 – 2005 Lecturer and then Senior Lecturer in Geomatics, Institute of Marine Studies. University of Plymouth.
1997 – 2000 HSO Remote Sensing Scientist, Plymouth Marine Laboratory.
Natural Environment Research Council.
2012 - Treasurer for the European Association of Remote Sensing Laboratories (EARSeL)
2010 - UK representative and Council member for the EARSeL
2010 - Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society (RSPSoc) Chairman
2008 - RSPSoc Chair of External Affairs
2008 - Co-chair International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (Working Group VIII.6 on Oceans)
2007 - Peer reviewer for the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong
2006 - 2010 Member of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) peer-review college
2007 - 2008 Member of the NERC Centre for Earth Observation Instrumentation (CEOI) steering committee
2006 - 2010 Member of the International Ocean Colour Co-ordinating Group (IOCCG)
2004 - 2008 Chair of the ISPRS Working Group VIII.6 on Coastal Zones Management, Ocean Colour and Ocean State Forecasting
2002 - 2008 Scientific team leader and Scientific steering committee member for the NERC Centre for observation of Air-Sea Interactions and fluXes (CASIX)
COMPLETED PHD STUDENTS
• Abdel Hamid, I. 2012. Chromo-Stereoscopic Visualisation in Dynamic Marine Operations. Based at Plymouth University.
• Kay, S. 2011. Sun glint correction of marine satellite imagery by radiative transfer model inversion. Based at the University of Exeter & ARGANS.
• Davey, F. 2011. Research Interests in GIS and remotely sensed data for landscape character assessment. In collaboration with Tamar AONB Service.
• Brewin, R. 2011. Detecting Phytoplankton Size Class using Satellite Earth Observation. Based at the University of Plymouth and in collaboration with Plymouth Marine Laboratory and the UK MetOffice.
• Barker, K. 2009. Novel Techniques for Estimating Primary Production Rates directly from Earth Observation Data. In collaboration with Plymouth Marine Laboratory.
• Fishwick, J. 2008. Biological and Optical Properties of Phytoplankton Assemblages in the Western English Channel. In collaboration with Plymouth Marine Laboratory.
• O’Neill, C. 2008. Identifying and modelling mesoscale processes responsible for deep sea-shelf exchanges over the Rockall Bank.
• Ostnes, R. 2005. To Assess the Opportunities and Benefits of Improved Visualisation of Hydrographic Data. In collaboration with Aalesund University College, Norway.
• Lowe, C. 2005. Satellite Remote Sensing of Characteristic Properties and Photosynthetic Rates of Phytoplankton Ecosystems. In collaboration with Plymouth Marine Laboratory.
• Nagur Cherukuru, R.C. 2004. Remote Sensing of Optically Active Marine Components. In collaboration with Plymouth Marine Laboratory.
ONGOING PHD STUDENTS
• Cristina, S. Study of optical properties of oceanic and coastal water southwest Portuguese coast using remote sensing data acquired by the sensor MERIS ocean colour. Based at the University of Algarve.
• Krijnen, J. Remote sensing applied to variability in North Atlantic CO2 uptake. Based at the University of East Anglia.
• Morakinyo, B. Flaring and Pollution Detection in the Niger Delta. Based at ARGANS / Plymouth University.
• Zhang, D. Understanding the potential and limitations of fluorescent imaging of cyanobacteria in freshwater and sea water. Based at Mullard Space Science Laboratory (University College London).
I have been an external PhD examiner five times in the UK and three times overseas (Belgium, France & Indonesia), and an internal examiner twice in the UK.
EXAMPLE PUBLICATIONS SINCE 2006 (in total I’ve been an author/co-author on over 35 peer-reviewed publications).