The start of June marked the four-year anniversary of Pixalytics! Weâ€™d not realised that the time of year had come around again until Sam started receiving messages via her LinkedIn profile. A lot of small business owners are like us, busy working with their head down and they forget to look up and celebrate their successes and milestones.
So, although we had to be prompted to look up, weâ€™re going to celebrate our milestone of Pixalytics thriving â€“ or maybe surviving – for four years!
The last twelve months have been really successful for us, with the main highlights:
- Doubling our company turnover.
- Appointing our first additional full-time employee.
- Having our book, Practical Handbook of Remote Sensing, published and being sold.
- Winning a Space for Smarter Government Programme contract.
- Expanding our EO products and services into AgriTech & flood mapping.
- Being short-listed for the Plymouth Herald Small Business of the Year Award.
- Being short-listed for the European Association of Remote Sensing Companies (EARSC) European EO Services Company Award.
- Hosting two ERASMUS placements and other work experience students.
We wrote a blog last June identifying what we were hoping to achieve in the coming twelve months. The key things were developing our customer base, products, and services together with employing someone else full time. Those aims were definitely achieved!
Well, thatâ€™s enough of the celebrating! Like any other small business weâ€™re much more interested in whatâ€™s in our future, than our past. Weâ€™ve still got plenty of challenges ahead:
- Doubling our turnover was a big leap, and this year weâ€™ve got to maintain that level and ideally grow more.
- Despite having additional hands in the business, we still have more ideas than capacity. Some of the ideas we had last year have been taken forward by other companies, before weâ€™ve had the chance to get around to them! We wish them success and will be watching with interest to see how they develop.
- Marketing is hard work. None of us at Pixalytics are marketing experts, and itâ€™s clear to us the difficulty of competing with firms who have sales and marketing teams promoting themselves at conferences and events. Our current approach is a combination of social media, and picking the events to attend. Both Sam and I are promoting Pixalytics this week, and then itâ€™s back to the office next week to welcome our summer Space Placements in Industry (SPIN) student.
Our key target for the end of this year is to release an innovate series of automated Earth observation products and services that we can sell to clients across the world â€“ we started to describe this journey here. We know weâ€™ll be competing with companies much bigger than us and we know itâ€™s not going to be easy, and to revisit the Samuel Beckett quote we used last year:
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
It still holds true for how we run our company. We try things. We fail. We succeed. We learn. We try new things.
Weâ€™re looking forward to what the next twelve months, or four years, have in store.